Monday, January 17, 2011

Mandarin Green Salad


(Continued journal entry from a year ago- January 2010)
“While my heart aches for the devastation the Haitians (January 12th was the earthquake that caused mass destruction and devastation in Haiti) are seeing, and living, I understand my role a little more. I understand my faith a little more. And truly, I understand the need to be grateful for the today that I –we have. I am grateful that B can still run, jump and play- at least for today!!”

So that brings me to my 2011 New Year’s Resolution- live life, and love with no reservations or regrets. Too often I think I focus too much on the future, and while every action has a consequence tomorrow, I want to enjoy today’s journey to its fullest. No doubt, my life will produce another round of heartache. Such is part of the refining process by which we will all be judged someday. However, I want to remember the feeling I had last January as I resolved to find gratitude in the blessings that today brings.

Happy New Year!!

Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions centered on healthy eating? Unfortunately, with the treadmill broken, and me eating my way through my recipes, I do :) To be honest, I blame the lemon cake. It’s gotta be one of my favorites. Nevertheless, Salad needs to be less of a foreign concept for me. Here is one of my favorites:

Mandarin Green Salad

Step 1: 1/3 cup sliced almonds. Cook over low heat with 2 T sugar. Stir constantly over low heat, until sugar is dissolved. Lay on waxed paper. (I skip this step and purchase Almond Accents -Honey Roasted flavor.)

Step 2: Prepare 3 cups combined spinach leaves and/or romaine lettuce.

Step 3: Slice 1 cup celery, 1/4 of a red onion and drain 1 can mandarin oranges.

Step 4: Toss together, or layer as greens, celery, onions, oranges, and almonds.

Step 5: Dressing:
¼ cup olive oil
2 T. sugar
2 T. red wine vinegar
Dash pepper
1 T. snipped parsley
½ tsp. Salt
Shake immediately and thoroughly until dissolved.
Just before serving, pour on dressing.

I skip the dressing altogether. With a little freshly ground sea salt and pepper, it bursts with flavor. Nothing kills healthy eating like dressing on a salad- check the back of the bottle for calories and fat! I'd rather save those calories for dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment