Monday, December 6, 2010

Yummy In My Tummy Chocolate Cake


The origin of this recipe is a little complicated, and very expensive.
It all began by our family being the recipients of tickets to an NCAA tournament session. We were lucky enough to see Kevin Durrant (now with the Oklahoma City Thunder) play. I was sitting between my two boys and had the unfortunate experience of listening to the obnoxious chatter of the two men behind us. At half-time my husband and daughter left their seats in search of some tasty snacks, leaving the boys and I to watch the entertainment. The two men behind us tapped me on the shoulder and apologized for being so loud. We exchanged cordial greetings and a few words about dreams on the hardwood. The one extended an invitation as he introduced himself as the owner of the Sacramento Kings NBA basketball team. His friend, Mike, told my boys if they were ever in the Sacramento area, they could be ball boys for a Kings game. He also delighted the boys by assuring them, they would receive a fan pack in the mail. Mr. Maloof turned to his promise- making friend and said- "you better make good on these promises."
Mike assured his friend- "She's a single mom, I'll take care of her."
I remained silent. (I know- but. . .)
Soon after the second half began, they left the game. A couple of days later, two generous packages arrived on our doorstep complete with autographs, jerseys, hats, and other gems. Then the pleading began to visit dear Aunt Cricket in Sacramento for spring break.
My husband and I threw caution to the wind and spent my patio furniture money on plane tickets. Weeks later, we thoroughly enjoyed a few fun-filled days with Aunt Cricket's family and an unforgettable evening at a Sacramento Kings game where I had two boys living the dream- or rather shagging balls for those living the dream.
Before leaving Aunt Cricket's, we were able to celebrate cousin Sid's 4th birthday complete with Yummy in My Tummy Chocolate Cake:

Yummy in My Tummy Chocolate Cake

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1 small pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
½ cup water
½ cup oil
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients in Kitchenaid for 30 seconds, scrape bowl, and mix for 2 more minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Bake at 325-350 for 50-55 minutes in bundt pan. Or 11x17 pan for 30 minutes. Cool. frost.

3 comments:

  1. What does your husband think about you being a single mom? I wish they gave you more tickets- so you would visit more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he figured out I wasn't single when I brought my husband to the Kings game :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, don't leave me hanging....what's the frosting recipe for this cake?
    Or did you use one that you already posted?

    ReplyDelete