Monday, January 3, 2011

Scotcheroos


This time of year, I am typically very reflective. The kids are all back to school; I am left with the quiet of the house. Today, my thoughts keep turning to where I was a year ago. I often wonder if I’ve learned everything I was supposed to from the experience. Truly, a lot of baking was my therapy and distraction a year ago. This is my journal entry from January 2010:
“On New Year’s Eve, Bren had a final check on his shoulder following his eventual season ending injury in week 4 of his senior high school football season. He had a somewhat serious brachial plexus injury (nerves in his neck). B had been wondering whether trying to walk on as a wide receiver somewhere next year (fall 2010) was even going to be a possibility. He received great news that the nerves carrying vital messages from his brain to his arm and shoulder seemed to all be firing. He was told that he still needed to continue to rebuild strength, but through diligence, he would return to full use and ability. Thus he is tentatively cleared to play football next fall. However, his hip had been bugging him whenever he played basketball hard for 45 or more minutes- constant running. Since he decided not to play high school basketball this year, the pain was not daily- more like weekly, or so. His orthopedic x-rayed his hip. At the bottom of the screen, there was a questionable mass near the center of his femur. They x-rayed the femur and saw a large tumor. “(To be continued. . .)
A tumor is an abnormal growth. So, on a night of much worldwide celebration, we were somber with the news acquired through an x-ray. However, we were grateful to have our good friends visiting. We were able to focus less on the day’s news and more on a simple game of cards.
This New Year’s I made my family one of Y’s favorite treats. I was first introduced to them by my husband’s aunt at a simple a summer BBQ, and was reacquainted when my sister-in-law brought us a plate as she had requested the recipe at the BBQ. They are quick and simple, and rich with chocolate indulgence as I have bumped up the amounts from the original recipe.

Scotcheroos
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup+ semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup+ butterscotch chips
Over medium heat, dissolve sugar into corn syrup. Remove from heat as it begins to boil. Stir in peanut butter. Add rice krispies and stir. Press into greased 9x13 or 10x15 pan. Melt chips on low stirring constantly. Spread over rice krispy base. Let stand until set. (I often fast forward this part by putting them in the freezer.)
The boys were playing volleyball and games with friends celebrating 2011. I enjoyed a quiet evening at home, watching a basketball game I had taped, grateful for an uneventful New Year’s Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment