Friday, October 7, 2011

Caramel Popcorn


I had the opportunity to visit my parents last weekend. It was Dad’s birthday. He is 70. He is a man of great wisdom, faith and love. He has taught his family the need for unwavering hard work through his quiet example. My last morning “home” I went to the kitchen to make a treat. With Dad at my side, helping me along the way we began to pop some popcorn in preparation.
“Tell me about the time we gleaned the fields.” Dad said. “I don’t remember it as well as you.”
“That’s because your thumbs weren’t blistered.” My sister laughed as she sat nearby cutting coupons.
I retold the story to Dad with all the details. He grinned in approval. By the time I finished the account with life lessons tied in, we had our first batch of Caramel Popcorn laid out ready to set.

Caramel Popcorn

1 cup butter
½ corn syrup
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
Bring to a boil the 4 ingredients listed above. Remove from heat, and add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
Toss the caramel mixture with:
3-4 bags of popped microwave popcorn

After the popcorn is evenly tossed, spread out on greased cookie sheets or aluminum foil. Let set.

Dad and I finished the second big batch of caramel popcorn as we visited about B on his mission, Y readying for college, and J playing volleyball. I then took a seat near my sister and watched in amazement as she clipped hundreds of coupons and sorted them in her binder. We chatted and took great delight in my niece and her friend who were happily riding bikes, and sampling caramel popcorn as they waited for the time to go to afternoon Kindergarten. Before long, Mom had gathered cellophane bags and ribbon. She separated the set caramel popcorn into pieces as she packed them in bags for friends and neighbors. After taking me to the airport, Mom and Dad delivered the treat bags. Their greeting at one door was unmistakably their favorite. The young girl at the door saw my Mom’s familiar face, looked at the two large treat bags in Mom’s hands and simply said, “I love you!”
My thoughts exactly- “I love you Mom! I love you Dad! It was good to come home even if just for a few days. And yes, next time I’ll bring your grand kids with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment