Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oreo Cupcakes


I am supposed to be making six dozen cupcakes.
Most importantly, I need some for a neighbor friend who deserves a huge thank you. My daughter didn't bring home her math text book for her homework yesterday because she can access it online. She tried to log on and realized she couldn't remember her password. She called a neighbor friend who is in her class. J's friend told her she would copy the pages J needed for her and even offered to deliver them. J graciously accepted the generous offer. However I insisted she call her friend back and tell her we could come get the pages. I sent Y as the driver for the errand. He and his sister returned a few minutes later. I inquired as to the success of the mission. J shows me a 7 page stapled packet. Her friend copied not only the pages with the problems (which she highlighted for J), but also the instructional pages. Following the last page she copied for J, she included a couple of blank pieces of lined notebook paper. It was the most amazingly generous "copy of a text book page" ever! So of course, she needs to be thanked.
I also have committed about 5 dozen cupcakes to the women’s group that I belong to. There is a fantastic program planned for this evening followed by a sampling of gourmet cupcakes.
However, after polishing off my string bean chicken, mixed vegetables, and steamed rice, my fortune cookie told me "YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERTAKE AND COMPLETE ANYTHING YOU DESIRE". So it only makes sense that I put aside the cupcakes and further experiment with a Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe made from scratch. After all, it's not every day you get a fortune promising you success…

…It is now hours later. The cookies were an epic failure. I guess the key word “SHOULD” in my fortune left room for error. (And there were plenty of them!) So I got busy making some very fun single serving desserts!
I never had an Oreo as a kid. In high school, I remember on one special occasion picnic, Mom bought generic “sandwich cookies” for a treat. Now that I’ve had an Oreo, I can tell you those cookies were terrible! I chose to not deny my kids that perfect treat. B had his first one around the age he could be bribed to crawl to it!! And today, I’ve chosen to make a simple Oreo Cupcake to share.

Oreo Cupcakes

Begin with a base of Yummy In My Tummy Chocolate Cake batter.
Make 24 cupcakes with the batter. Bake approximately 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely.

Oreo Frosting
4 oz. cream cheese, whipped
8 oz. Cool Whip.
5 crushed Oreo cookies.
Stir together all ingredients until well blended. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and garnish with an Oreo cookie. I piped the frosting by spooning all of the frosting into a gallon size freezer strength Ziploc and trimming a half an inch from the corner of the bag.(This batch will frost 10-12 cupcakes)

Save a few Oreos for bribing:

No comments:

Post a Comment