Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fruit Crisp


Several weeks ago, Y had a hard day on the grid iron. Because of the misdeed in his direction, I wasn’t happy either. When he arrived home, I volunteered to head out and cause some trouble with him, if it would make him feel better. He wasn’t interested in throwing anything, damaging anyone’s property or delivering tainted brownies to a coach’s doorstep. (I silently wondered if he had any of my DNA.) He told me he wasn’t angry, but if it would make me feel better, I could make him cookies. And so I did make cookies, and we both felt better.
Yesterday it was my husband’s turn to have a bad day. He works on a government contract safeguarding nuclear materials. Neither you nor I have clearance to know any more than that. Needless to say, when he has a hard day, I never get details. I can be empathetic, but most helpful if I’m busy in the kitchen doing what I can to ease the burden. This is the comfort food of choice:

Fruit Crisp

5 cups fruit (sliced apples, peaches, berries, etc.)
1 T lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
-------
¾ cup oats
¾ cup brown sugar
3/8 cup flour
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
6 T cold butter, cubed

Prepare fruit and toss with lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pulse oats, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and butter in the food processor until it forms crumbs. Add 3/8 cup nuts if desired. Lay fruit in the bottom of a greased 9inch baking pan. Sprinkle crumb topping on. Bake at 350 degrees for 40+ minutes, or until done.
Mix.Bake.Share.
B sent me a text last night bemoaning a happening in his life. I was tired, and done consoling people who'd had a hard day. He was given the following advice:
“Keep your head up. Keep working hard. Go forth with faith. Your dad and brother had some rough days too this week. Pray for them and focus less on your own misfortune. I love you.”
He replied “Okay.”
Reading it this morning, I hope I wasn’t too harsh. But it makes me feel better knowing today he’ll receive a surprise care package in the mail with ingredients to bake some of his favorite treats.
–Recipes will be posted another day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I don't wonder what your husband does anymore--I KNOW. He goes around being limo'ed in private jets, driving five-hundred thousand dollar cars, wearing tuxes to foreign black-tie events, and shooting people with Walther PPK 7.62mm outfitted with a Brausch silencer or blowing them up with C4 laced pens that loaned to them that he then detonates while adjusting his glasses. And who are these people he's sending unprepared to meet their maker? Those who own the red buttons that control nuclear warheads, that are scheming in their secret combinations to start the nuclear holocaust. GO WHIT GO!!! THANK YOU FOR THE RISKS YOU TAKE AND FOR KEEPING THE IGNORANT SAFE! But I am not ignorant Whit... I know. Yes, I know.

    ReplyDelete