Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Oreo Brownies


Tonight is Y’s football banquet. He is essentially new to the sport. Although he was B’s main competition at age 2, he took little from his experience other than bruises and bumps. He spent most of his time on the bottom of the two man pile.
Football is a great sport, even if you’re somewhat undersized, or still developing your athleticism. More important than studliness- or lack thereof on the field, it’s what happens from a character perspective that can change a child.
The football team seems to think my brownies are a nice post game treat. Today’s version happens to be the coach’s favorite:

Oreo Brownies

Make a pan of brownies as outlined here.
For the 12x17 size pan, frost cooled brownies with 1 ½ cans of white frosting. Cut 3 sleeves, or 1 package of Oreos into small pieces. Gently press the Oreo pieces into the wet frosting. Put remaining ½ can of frosting in a quart size freezer strength Ziploc bag. Microwave for 7 seconds. Clip a small hole in the bottom corner of the bag and drizzle the frosting over the Oreo layer. Let set. Cut and serve.

We are grateful Y made it through his season injury free. We were not so fortunate a year ago with our eldest. He suffered a debilitating season ending shoulder injury in week three of the season. Later we found out he had fractured his femur in week two- but played through it. The day of B’s team's last game had been very difficult and emotional for me. It was hard to say goodbye and find peace in all the memories and lack thereof from the season.
In an effort to define the season, and find closure, I decided to write a letter to my son:
Dear B-
Football is a great sport- a rough one too. I wanted football to teach you lessons about life perhaps not learned quite the same by any other avenue.
I wanted you to measure your strengths and your weaknesses. I wanted you to learn how to make your weaknesses strong. I wanted you to experience what it is like to push yourself physically and mentally harder than you thought you could go- and then push a little further. I wanted you to gain respect: for yourself, your teammates, and your coaches. I hoped you would form friendships that would continue beyond the helmets and pads. Above all else, I wanted you to gain a greater identity of who you are as a son of God. I prayed that you would place your faith and trust in the Lord and yield to His will for you.
Son- you have made your dad and I very proud. My hope for your senior football season was for you to learn the lessons from your opportunities and experiences that would help prepare you for the rest of your life. In fact, I have learned from you. I have watched you face the many difficulties of this season with valiant faith, optimism, and inspiring energy.
I have missed not seeing you shine on the field with receptions, returns, and tackles as I know you could. But my heart rejoices as I watched you shine in the face of such great adversity.
My son, it has been a pleasure to watch you this season. I am grateful for the path you have laid for your brother and sister to walk through. We are blessed to have you in our family.
Now and forever, I’ll always be your biggest fan! I love you!
Mom

Tonight, we eat a fried chicken dinner and bring some Oreo brownies to share in support of Y’s efforts. Truly great character was built this season. My hope for his senior year is not unlike what I’d hoped for with B. What he does and says in the face of difficulty on and off the field, is more important than touchdowns and tackles.

No comments:

Post a Comment