Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pilgrim Hat Place Cards


When the boys were young, I had a subscription to Family Fun Magazine. Each month, I would sift through it to see if there was something fun to make or do. I went through the effort to cut out the pages of my favorite activities, games, and food crafts. The product of those hours is useless. Now, (for ease and quickness) I simply turn to the internet to retrieve what I need. My daughter, J is making this year’s Thanksgiving place cards.
Place Card Pilgrim Hats
Ingredients
• 24 chocolate-striped shortbread cookies
• 12-ounce package of chocolate chips
• 24 marshmallows
• tube of yellow decorators' frosting
Instructions
1. Set the chocolate-striped cookies stripes down on a wax-paper-covered tray, spacing them well apart.
2. Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave or double boiler.
3. One at a time, stick a wooden toothpick into a marshmallow, dip the marshmallow into the melted chocolate, and promptly center it atop a cookie.
4. Using a second toothpick to lightly hold down the marshmallow, carefully pull out the first toothpick.
5. Chill the hats until the chocolate sets, then pipe a yellow decorators' frosting buckle on the front of each hat

The truth is, she made these same place cards about four years ago. They “complicated” Thanksgiving. My nephew was too young to want to wait until after dinner for his treat. An epic fit ensued lasting clear through the big meal. I only felt a little bad for being responsible for the reason. I was mostly entertained and somewhat delighted watching a grand toddler fit -as we had been out of that stage for quite some time. After he exhausted himself, he ate his required portions and then enjoyed his treat as dishes were being done. Better luck to you all- and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment