Monday, November 22, 2010

Jane's Rolls


Grammy always made the best rolls. No matter what time of year we’d visit, she’d task long in the kitchen preparing a meal served with melt-in-your-mouth rolls.
I can’t get Grammy’s recipe to turn out. I think I can blame it on humidity, elevation, and barometric pressure. . .
So on a crusade to be triumphant with a simple no-fail dinner roll, I called all four of my sisters asking for their success stories. I only found one! It’s a recipe one of my sisters begged off of a neighbor.
I played with it, bumping up the flavor. I give credit to the recipe’s origin by calling it:

Jane’s Rolls

2 cups warm milk (microwave for 2 minutes)
2 T yeast
¼ cup sugar
Mix these three ingredients together and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast mixture is foamy.
Add :
¼ melted butter
1 egg
2 tsp. salt
3 cups bread flour
Beat in Kitchenaid until smooth.
Add 2-3 more cups of bread flour.
Change the Kitchenaid attachment to the dough hook for 5 minutes. (Or knead on your well-floured work surface.)
Let rise until double.
Form into any shape of roll you’d like. I divide dough into two discs. I roll each one out into a 14 inch circle, then brush with soft or melted butter. Then take the pizza cutter and cut into 16 triangles. Beginning with the wide end, roll up the dough to form crescent shapes.
Rise until double. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Lightly brush with butter while still hot.

My kids will begin Thanksgiving week by being grateful I made a “practice batch” of rolls for them to enjoy after school today. Your family would appreciate it too. I’ll be sure to tell Jane how thankful we are for the recipe.

4 comments:

  1. I make these often - it is my favorite roll recipe - thanks Jane. I don't usually brush with butter - I will have to try that for thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't find where to comment on your popcorn post, but i loved that story! i could imagine every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those look good. The bread here is fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, "here" at the time was Singapore, I had to think about that for a minute.

    ReplyDelete