Thursday, January 20, 2011

Apple Berry Salsa


“Pushing the limits”- definitely a good phrase to describe myself. A couple of days ago, I walked into my favorite neighborhood cafe. The host/waiter did a double take upon seeing me come in and said "Oh no!". I guess it's because I make several adjustments to the menu selection I order. I probably push the limits of allotted substitutions for one order.
On my fortieth birthday, I succumbed to the peer pressure at my "party" and dismounted from a rope swing high above the river. I had an eight inch bruise on my legs for weeks to prove it.
I definitely pushed all my physical and mental toughness limits that day.
Today I push the season of strawberries a bit. They are really still a few weeks away from being really nice, but when I saw them while shopping at Costco. I gave in to their red ripe looking tips. They are a little firm, but rather nice in this:

Apple Berry Salsa

2 medium apples, peeled, sliced, and chopped
½ lb. diced strawberries
2 kiwi, peeled and diced
1 small orange, zested, and juiced
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar (I omit this)
2 tablespoons apple jelly or apricot jam (I omit this)

Place prepared fruit in small bowl. Add orange zest, juice, brown sugar and jelly to fruit mixture. Mix gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I serve this with cinnamon crisps. There are several brands out there you can purchase. My local Costco carries La Panzanella Sweet Crisps -(Croccantini- an Italian cracker).

I have made my own by spraying a flour tortilla with Pam cooking spray and sprinkling with cinnamon sugar. Then cut with a pizza cutter into desired sizes. Bake at 425 for 10+ minutes depending on desired crispness.

So if you feel like pushing the limits today, go ahead- purchase those somewhat over priced berries and make a healthy snack!

(This recipe originally came from Pampered Chef. I gave it to you as in their cookbook. I omit the brown sugar and jam. It is plenty sweet and I'm calling this a snack so I'll save those extra calories for dessert.)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete