Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Black Bottom Cupcakes


I was first introduced to these at my mother-in-law’s home. Every time W and I would come home for Christmas, there would be a large Tupperware bowl full of bite size versions. Multiple times throughout the days, I would quietly sneak into the kitchen when no one was looking, and pop a whole one in my mouth. I think I ate most of them over the week of our visit. Hopefully the empty bowl was blamed on W. :)
I wasn’t much of a baker back then. My resources of time and energy and money were dedicated to finishing up my degree. When the price of a cake mix became affordable, I called my mother-in–law for the recipe. To my horror, she listed ingredients like flour and cocoa. I simplified it on my own and have used a cake mix ever since.

Black Bottom Cupcakes

1 devil’s food cake mix, made as directed on box.
Filling:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/3 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, and salt.
Stir in 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips.
Fill muffin tins 1/2 full with the batter and top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.
The cream cheese mixture “sinks” during baking.
Bake in preheated 350 oven for 15-20 minutes (depending on size), or until done.

These really don’t need a glaze, but to fancy them up, use your favorite chocolate glaze.

The 3 dozen mini cupcakes I made yesterday are nearly gone. I am not to blame! (I’ve been snacking on lemon cake.)

1 comment:

  1. OK - Now these I have to try! Any way you still have that original recipe for the cake? :-)

    ReplyDelete