Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oatmeal Cookie- Warm Spiced Apple Sundae


(Continued journal entry from a year ago- January 2010)
“I spent hours day after day during the first week of January watching every down of every game to see if any of the hits could seemingly produce the impact that would have been required to fracture his femur. B would come home from school and look at the plays I had highlighted over the days videos. It seemed more often than not he had two defenders on him when he caught the ball, and always had to make leaping heroics to secure a catch. After the second full afternoon of watching game tape and B saying “no” to all hits that I had him review, I was frustrated. I know the frustration was not out of lack of success in finding the hit. It was the frustration I felt when it seemed evident that somehow I’d have to adjust from being a mom in the bleachers to a mom in the doctor’s waiting room. My comfortable role of making brownies had changed to my role of readying B for his biopsy surgery scheduled for Tuesday, January 12. I stayed in at the computer, watching more football, wishing things were different, not just now, but then. Sadly- there were only a few games to review tape of. I delighted in spending that time just watching him. Whether it was just running a route, or blocking for a gain on the ground, I was reminded of how tall, strong and quick he had become over the previous years. I was reminded of how fleeting some moments in life are.” (To be continued)

I remember watching those football tapes like it was yesterday. I always thought B would be the one who surprised his teammates, coaches, and the town’s folk of his abilities. He’s a quiet kid. Not one to draw attention to himself. No one expected much from him because he was essentially unknown. That’s not how things turned out. His football season ended before it much began, and we were left with a far different course to follow. Reflectively, it was a good course, but it took a lot of faith. I was grateful B had an extra large dose of faith. At times, I think we were all able to lean on him.
It was a comfort to see B at peace. and speaking of comfort, this dessert hits the spot. When I bake, sometimes its fun, to reach out and experiment trying to replicate something I’ve tasted. But my kids prefer the classics they grew up with. Part of what makes them their favorites are the memories that coincide, or just the security in stability. I like to take a classic and change it enough to present it in a new way. For example, a classic oatmeal cookie paired with warm cinnamon apples, vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

Oatmeal Cookies

Cream:
1 cup shortening (Butter flavored Crisco)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Stir in:
2 eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
Add at once and stir:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Soda
2 cups quick oats
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

Warm Cinnamon Apples

5 cups sliced apples
1 T lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Toss sliced apples with the rest of the ingredients. Heat them in a skillet just until tender-crisp.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. I like Mrs. Richardson’s Butterscotch Caramel jarred sauce.

B would enjoy this dessert. Y and J would snatch a few cookies and be delighted the same. I’m blessed with three great kids. Each very different: strengths, weaknesses, hobbies, etc. But what I see is that when we work together as a family, toward a common goal- we balance each other- especially noted during times of trial.
These times we have as a family are fleeting. I'm grtaeful for the advice given to me to enjoy them. I try to do just that!

1 comment:

  1. after a week of dieting I cannot tell you how wonderful that looks to me... I am drooling on the keyboard. seriously.

    ReplyDelete