Friday, January 21, 2011

Darrell's Cookies


I'm tired. You know- the wet, cloudy and cold outside January tireds. I've got some big events coming up with my volunteer work. I'm feeling less and less energetic toward those projects, and more of a yearning for home.
Last night, I had a quick chat on the phone with two of my sisters who were together, coming back from dinner. Oh how I wished I were the third passenger in that car.
Many years ago, I visited my eldest sister at her home. Sunday after church, her husband took what seemed to be a comfortable place in the kitchen and filled the counter with sugars, flour, chocolates and other baking ingredients. I sat at the counter bar in amazement as this accomplished man of business whipped up a batch of cookies that produced one of the greatest tasting products in my memory.
This weekend, Y is headed with friends and members of his local church youth group to a winter retreat. There promises to be much sledding and fun. This morning as I strolled through my recipes trying to decide what to make for the car ride to the campground, I came across "Darrell's Cookies". Darrell is my sister's husband- the same sister whom I called last night who had just had dinner with yet another sister who was in town visiting.
My thoughts returned me to that memorable Sunday afternoon, and my current longing for home.
I asked my sister if Darrell shared his recipe. She said, "No!"
"Bummer” I thought, as I'm sure you'd like to have it too. Then she sent me the following link: http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp where I found Darrell's secret recipe :)

"Darrell's" Cookies

1 cup butter, soft
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups flour
2.5 cups oatmeal (blended to powder form)
½ tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Baking powder
12 oz. Chips
4 oz. Grated chocolate
¾ cups nuts (optional)

Cream butter with sugars. Stir in vanilla and eggs. Add dry ingredients and stir well. Add chocolate and nuts if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 min.


I took the early afternoon off; read the paper, and made some cookies that remind me of home. Now I need to buck up, get focused, help Y out the door, and gear up for the next few weeks that promise to be busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment