Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gingersnap Cookies


Dad called at 5am this morning. I think sometimes he forgets which way the time change goes. As I lay in bed this morning trying to fall back asleep, I grinned at the delightful man my father is. He has led a humble hard working life, and has taught me through faithful example to do the same.
I was 4'11" and maybe 70 pounds as a freshman in high school. I decided to try out for the volleyball team with my best friend. The first day of practice we had to record in the coach's notebook how many over hand serves we got across the net in our first 25 attempts. Tears filled my eyes, making focusing to record my 0 nearly impossible.
The next summer, after school got out, I began my quest for grand improvement. Dad and Grandpa put up a net in the side yard. My goal was to make 50 serves over the net every day. I would serve my ball over the net (or under) and run to the other side, retrieve it, and serve it from that side. It was a very slow process to reach my goal of 50 serves. Some days, it would take me hours. I had grown up watching my dad work hard, and never complaining, or seeking approval from others for his efforts. I expected the same from myself.
Some summer evenings, as I was trying to reach my serve quota, Dad would quietly approach our "court" and stand on the side I was serving to. He would then chase those erratic serves all over his side and toss them back to me. His presence not only gave relief to my fatigued body, but my Spirit felt renewed and uplifted.
I would love nothing more than to take Dad a plate of one of his favorite cookies this afternoon and listen to his stories. He lives 500 miles away, and although I'm grateful for our chat, I miss spending time with him.
Nevertheless, in honor of him and all that I am and do because of him, I'll bake some ginger- molasses cookies and think of him.
I have four gingersnap type cookies in my recipe book. This is the one I like the best:

Gingersnap Cookies

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves

Cream butter, Crisco, and sugars. Stir in the molasses and eggs. Add dry ingredients all at once and mix until they are all incorporated. Mold into 1 inch balls. Roll into sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.

To dip or not to dip? Not if they're for Dad. But definitely for me!
I like to use white almond bark. Wait until cookies are completely cool. Dip half-way into bark, or put bark into a quart size freezer strength Ziploc and melt it slowly in the microwave, being careful not to scorch it. Then drizzle bark onto cookies.

Many people associate this cookie with this Christmas season. For me- it's all about Dad.

1 comment: