Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes


Today, it’s all about perfect pairing. I had a perfect childhood. (Despite never having an Oreo;)) I specifically remember a day when I was 4 ½ years old. Each night as Dad came home from work, he would come into the living room and engage in wrestle time. My dad couldn’t change the fact that all 4 of his children were girls, but he didn’t want us to be wimps. My mom did not support the rough play, but conceded to the idea with the clause that “play” time ended when the first person cried. One of us would always take a tough fall and tears ensued. Afterwards though, we continued to huddle near dad as he discussed with us our day’s events. One night Dad told us he had some big news. We were getting new neighbors. Two girls: One my younger sister’s age and one my age!
We instantly became best friends with our new neighbors and spent the summer making mud pies, swimming, putting on shows for our parents and playing school in anticipation of beginning Kindergarten in August.
My new best friend and I were the perfect pair together. Just like peanut butter and chocolate!
In the 1920’s H.B.Reese paired a peanut butter filling with some Hershey’s chocolate. Many people over the past near century would and will attest to his brilliance.
Today, we look at that brilliance done up in a cupcake:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes

Begin with a base of Yummy In My Tummy Chocolate Cake batter.
Make 24 cupcakes with the batter. Bake approximately 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely.

Peanut Butter Frosting

8 oz. softened cream cheese
½ cup soft butter
2/3 cup peanut butter
5 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until fluffy. This batch will frost approximately 24 cupcakes.

Beat in powdered sugar until well blended. Pipe (I put the frosting into a freezer strength Ziploc bag and snip ½ inch from the corner.) frosting onto cupcake. Drizzle on Chocolate Glaze. Garnish with ½ of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.



Oh how I loved my new friend and our years growing up together. I often felt her moving next door was God’s way of telling me he loved me. Others will feel the love as you share this perfectly paired treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment