Monday, February 21, 2011

Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread


The sun is shining brightly today. I gathered my shoes and socks and found the little 2'x2' space in my family room where the sun was coming in through the windows. I sat down in that little space and soaked up some warmth from the sun.
It just so happens, my calendar is pretty empty today. So I chose to linger on that sunny spot on the floor of my family room.
As I closed my eyes, enjoying the quiet calm (indirect) sunlight, my imagination took me to the beaches of Hawaii. I imagined the sound of waves gently crashing on the nearby rocks at Hukilau Beach. And lost in my day dream, I decided to have lunch at Kahuku Grill. Today I'll order the Terriyaki Chicken plate. For dessert, I'll have the only item on the menu: Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Sundae!
Well- guilt from lack of progression woke me from my day dream, but my Kitchenaid was calling, and I heeded the call. I may not be able to lunch at Kahuku Grill today, but I think I'll try my hand at that banana bread.
It's a tropical treat. That said, the flavors need to complement each other, and the texture needs to be a bit lighter than my typical banana bread. I think I'll begin with a banana cake recipe from B's friend Saydi, tweaking it just a bit. Next I'll add chocolate chips and coconut. Topping the finished product with a lot of tropical love ;)
Wanna escape for a moment? Give this a try-

Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Cream:
1 cup of sugar
6 T softened butter
Beat in 2 eggs
Stir in:
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
1/4 cup buttermilk
Add:
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. salt
Mix until well incorporated.
Stir in:
½ cup chocolate chips (I use mini)
¾ cup flaked sweetened coconut
Divide batter between two 3” x 7” aluminum bread pans.
Bake at 350degrees for 50-60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes clean.
Let cool.

Topping:
Coconut Glaze
1 can of Coco Lopez coconut cream
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
Put both ingredients in the food processor until smooth. (This will top six loaves. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.)
Mini chocolate chips
Toasted coconut
For the topping, layer glaze followed by chocolate chips and then toasted coconut. Repeat layer again ending with toasted coconut.

Everything tastes better with ocean breezes and warm sun, but this isn't a bad momentary escape for the middle of winter!
Go the distance making it a Sundae by adding vanilla ice cream and warm hot fudge!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that a Facebook page is using your image and recipe without attribution (and presumably also without permission). The page is called Welcome Home, and the image and recipe are here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=165061000314682&set=pb.130807550406694.-2207520000.1364183653&type=3&theater

    You can report the violation as the copyright holder to Facebook here (I couldn’t do it for you because I don’t hold the copyright to the image and am not your authorized representative either): https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=208282075858952

    I promise these aren’t spam links! This person is doing this to a large number of food bloggers and publicly proclaiming her innocence. She will continue to do so until she is officially reported by multiple copyright holders. My e-mail address is attached to this post. I’m not a lawyer, just a concerned reader.

    I’m also concerned because she’s publishing a cookbook soon and her page just went viral. I assume she’ll be using these images and these recipes under the false impression that they are public domain, and for her personal gain. I’m hoping to advise Amazon of the violations since she’s e-publishing with them.

    ReplyDelete