Friday, December 10, 2010

Sugar Cookies


Last night, I sat with Y as he pounded out the last of his homework problems. I told him about the texting chat B and I had that day about BBQ sauce :) I asked him "Are you excited for B to come home next week?"
"Oh yeah." was the response.
I'm excited too. I have been blessed that these two boys have always been friends- never enemies. There is a deep connection between the two, with a lot of mutual respect.
One of my favorite pictures is of my boys making Christmas sugar cookies together. They, the countertop and the floor are covered in flour. B seems to be instructing Y on the how-tos, but in reality, they were discussing Batman and Robin, and coming up with their own great adventures. Y was only two. He adored his big brother and only ever agreed with him. "Yea. . . Yea. . .Yea!" was the usual verbiage from Y when the two got together. Whatever B thought was a good idea, Y thought was a better one.
To be perfectly honest, my favorite sugar cookie used to be a store purchased Lofthouse frosted cookie. I spent 2008 experimenting with sugar cookie recipes trying to duplicate the soft mild flavored cookie.
I took some from one recipe, and a little from another, until the ideas and flavors blended nicely into this:

Sugar Cookies

1 cup soft butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 ½ cups sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
5 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients together and add ½ at a time. Mix well. Refrigerate dough for 3 hours. Roll out 3/16 inches thick and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes depending on size and thickness. Cool. Frost.
Today I used canned lemon frosting and came in with a lemon glaze (2 cups powdered sugar mixed with 3 tablespoons lemon juice) drizzled over the top.

I doubt B and Y hit the kitchen next week to make sugar cookies- perhaps Reese’s Brownies instead. For sure, there will be lots of basketball playing and maybe even some football (with and without game system controllers). I look forward to Y’s lifelong playmate and friend returning from school for a few fun filled weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and fun. Maybe I'll come for a visit:) I know, I'm all talk and no action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture - its a sign of my age, but I love looking back at the pictures when the kids were younger.......oh ya - you turned 40 this year, so you'll be doing that a lot more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. brothers and friends--the best combination!

    ReplyDelete