Thursday, May 3, 2012

Oatmeal Carmelitas

Do you know how when you get out of town for a few days, quite often a flood of perspective is what you return with? That happened to me this past weekend. I was in Minden, Nebraska chit-chatting with some amazing distant relatives I had the pleasure of sharing lunch and laughs with. I love how we are oft times fortunate in life, to find things that connect us to each other. I shared what is most certainly my new favorite recipe and the honest comment of why I haven't blogged it yet. I've rationalized over the past twelve weeks as I've made it again and again that once it's blogged, I'll stop experimenting and thus I won't have the mental excuse to make it 1-2 times per week :) Nevertheless, it's time.  
Oatmeal Carmelitas
2 cups quick oats
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix the above dry ingredients.
 Add: 1 1/4 cups melted butter.
Stir until crumbs are the size of corn. (I did just come from Nebraska...) Press 2/3 of mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon on 1 1/4 cups of Carmel sauce. (make your own, or use jarred Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel topping as I do.) Sprinkle on 2-2 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet). Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over the top and return to the oven for 18 more minutes. Remove from oven and be careful!!!
You will want to grab a spoon and sample. I have spent many a days over the past twelve weeks with a burned mouth due to my inability to be patient :) You can quicken the cooling process in the refrigerator. Otherwise they will take several hours to set making them able to be served without falling apart. But I can promise you if you are a fan of ice cream, caramel, and chocolate, let them fall into the same bowl together. You won't be disappointed! Here's to a season of happy reunions with family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment