Friday, May 18, 2012

Madeline's Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies



It's a welcome season of change in our home these days! The weather is warming bringing with it renewed growth of a green lawn, tiny leaves on the trees and definitely a skip in my step. The past few months have been tough on Y. He made a decision last fall to graduate early from high school. He finished up his course work in January at the semester break and gratefully and quickly found full time employment. While initially he enjoyed learning new things and expanding his skill set, he desperately missed the social side of life. His employment is working in a dark cool warehouse with minimal social interaction. He counts every paycheck in advance and puts it all in savings, but he is ready for the imminent change June will bring. He will begin as a full time student at Brigham Young University in a few weeks. I find myself busy with making a senior memory presentation, planning a celebratory backyard BBQ, and picking up random things at the store such as extension cords, paper clips, cold medicine and card games. I printed off a six page list from someone who thought to post one - of everything you need to set up a college dorm :) These tasks energize me as I envision Y at school playing pick up basketball games, Sunday afternoon cards with the guys (and gals) from the dorm, and hopefully finding time to utilize the school supplies I picked up...
This morning as I lie awake at 5:30 am mentally planning my day, my thoughts turned to a recipe I've been wanting to try. In actuality, the recipe had to be determined. It's the concept I was visualizing. Madeline's is a fantastic little bakery cafe in downtown Spokane. Last December I indulged with a peanut butter oatmeal sandwich cookie. It was fantastic! I've been wanting to experiment ever since, but got caught up in the excitement of Oatmeal Carmelitas and struggled to progress beyond them- for good reason. Today was the day to try and come up with my best copy- cat recipe. I'll give credit where due and call them -

Madeline's Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups quick oats

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugars. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Stir until well incorporated. Drop cookies onto greased aluminum baking sheet. Flatten a bit with your fingers. Bake at 350 degrees for 8+ minutes depending on size. Let cool completely.
Mix up peanut butter frosting:
4 oz. softened cream cheese
1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
2-21/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla.
Mix in Kitchenaid until fluffy.
Pipe a circle of frosting onto the back side of a cookie and place another cookie on top.

Madeline hasn't thought of this yet, but for a special occasion such as personal gratitude for doing some yard work, or checking your email... dip each cookie halfway in chocolate ( I used a package of Nestle's Milk Chocolate chips and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Crisco)and let set. Then build the sandwich!
Enjoy the seasons as they change and share some joy with a friend or neighbor with these sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment