Monday, January 10, 2011

Blueberry Muffins


(Continued journal entry from a year ago- January 2010)
“Saturday night, I found some time and space alone outside for awhile. I surveyed the beautifully bright stars and began to speak with God. I told Him I would do my best to be strong. I asked Him if He was going to take B early from our family. I told Him I would understand why He would want him. I know B would be a valiant worker on the other side of things in continuing God’s work. I told Him that I would love to have B’s stay with us extended, but would understand why He may have a different course laid out for him. I felt peace and love-- for the short term- and the long term.” (To be continued)

Understanding God’s work and our role in it is an intriguing thought and at times a seemingly long suffering task. I can identify times where I was faithful in serving as God needed me too, and many times where I was somewhat sluggish in my opportunities.
In chatting with my sister about this recently, I recognized that in sluggish times, most of the time what was expected of me or the opportunity before me wasn’t really that hard. And yet, my attitude would be far from where it was a year ago on that cold January night. Often times, when my slothfulness results in subpar service, I ease my guilt by heading to my kitchen. Somehow, if I can’t completely step up, I feel a little less guilty if I bake something for someone. Sometimes the treat is meant to say-
“I’m sorry.”
“I’ll try harder next time.” or
“Thinking of you.”
I used to always make chocolate chip cookies- for anyone or any occasion. Some days, I put forth a little more effort bake something especially for the recipient. I am not a big fan of blueberries, but a year ago, I learned that my across the street neighbor is. I practiced and experimented with a few recipes and recently baked him a batch of blueberry muffins.

Blueberry Muffins
½ cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup milk
2 cups blueberries

Cream butter with sugar. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add all of the dry ingredients. Slowly add milk as you mix in the dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Sprinkle with Butter Streusel and bake at 350 degrees 15-18 minutes, or until done.

Butter Streusel
½ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ cup cold butter
½ tsp. cinnamon
Cut all ingredients together until crumbly.


I rescently heard, "If you want to discover yourself, loose yourself in the service of others." There is an extra good feeling when I put forth the extra effort and serve with a little deeper meaning, a lighter heart, and an eye single to the Lord’s will. Much more often, I’d like to be able to say "I’ll go where you want me to go dear Lord, I’ll do what you want me to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment