Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lemon Cake


A conversation via text between a friend and I last night awaiting the news on Y’s status with the basketball team-
Friend: “Hope the spirits are high at your home tonight because things went well for Y. Good luck!”
Me: “Actually, he was cut. He isn’t home yet so we haven’t talked.”
Friend: “Oh shoot…hope he handles it well. How is mom handling the news?”
Me: “Me?-I’m completely rational. All I want to do is sell the house and get the heck outta here!”
Friend: “Oh good…I was worried that you would lose it and do something crazy like make lemon cake!”
And so I did. . .

Lemon Cake
1 lemon cake mix
1/3 cup oil
½ cup water
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1 small package of lemon pudding
I toss it all in the bowl and let the Kitchenaid work it. Several minutes later, it’s in the desired baking pan (jelly roll, rounds, bundt, cupcakes- whatever your feeling) baking at 350 degrees. Time depends on size of pan.
I keep it simple by frosting with a canned lemon frosting and setting the wow flavor factor with a glaze made of 2+T lemon juice to 2 cups of powdered sugar.
Mix.Bake. Share.

Y is handling the disappointment with toughness- probably because that’s how most 16 year olds think they should. He was quiet last night. In family prayer, his sister asked God to “help Y get over it”- before we could reverently giggle she quickly followed by asking “please let the Spirit comfort him.” I think he has felt that comfort. I have too- what an incredible gift the Comforter is.

No comments:

Post a Comment