Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Muffin with Crumble Top (Mom's Holiday Pumpkin Bread)


Today is the first of three basketball tryouts for Y, my middle child. The tryouts are in 7 hours and I'm already nervous for him. I remember tryouts my junior year. I remember sitting under the basket at the end of the gym, up against the cold concrete block wall. I was completely unsure in my abilities. I couldn't even lift my head as the coach called out the Varsity roster. I kept starring at the hardwood in front of me. That flashback early this morning sent me to my Kitchenaid. The weather is cloudy, with a little wind and rain. My thoughts have briefly returned me to my childhood, and one of the only things my mama used to bake (although only once a year- and for the neighbors). I've tweaked the recipe a little and exchanged a crumble top for the spice glaze. Based on texture, I prefer this recipe as muffins instead of bread, nevertheless, I call it:
Mom's Holiday Pumpkin Bread
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
3/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
3 T soft butter
I lazily toss dry ingredients and then add the wet. As a muffin, don’t over mix.
Bake them at 350 degrees. Time depends on size of baking cup. I prefer Texas size muffins.
Variations:
Mom always added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 6 oz. chocolate chips, omitting the cloves. Then she would glaze the cooled bread with a clove infused powdered sugar glaze.
I often substitute some whole wheat flour, scant the cup of sugar, use skim milk instead of buttermilk, and skip the nuts and chocolate inside. This way, I feel okay about having two!
I do like to pretty it up with a simple crumble on top:
1T cold butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup oatmeal.
I pulse it in the Cusinart for a bit and throw in a few tablespoons of mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
Mix-Bake-Share
Good luck today Y! Your dad says to play smart, your mama says to play with your heart!

4 comments:

  1. i like the story + recipe combo. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the spice glaze though--that was one of my favorite elements of the bread. I think I need a taste-test. Please hop on a plane (its a short 24hr flight) bring some holiday pumpkin bread-muffins w/crumb-topping-instead-of-spice-glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Y! i think I need Texas-sized muffin baking pans.

    ReplyDelete