Thursday, March 6, 2014

S'mores Rice Krispy Treats


I need some more....
One of my favorite quotes is by Bishop Gary Stevenson. He says, "The 2000 stripling soldiers had countless moments to demonstrate their courage. Each of you will also have defining moments in your life requiring courage."
Who are the 2000 stripling warriors?
Those would be the examples I use to help teach my boys and now my daughter the importance of doing the right thing. To learn to stand for the right even if you sometimes feel alone in doing so. The scriptural account of those warriors can be found
 here.
What do I find so compelling about this story?
These warriors had courage, unselfishness and unwavering faith. But- where did they tag the source of it?
"...they had been taught by their mothers that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them."
So then I turn to myself and I tell myself that there are defining moments in my parenthood -requiring courage. Courage to keep trying. Courage to keep praying. Courage to increase my own faith. 
Because storms will come. Faith will be tested.
I feel like now is a time in my life that I will look back on and say it was a "defining moment".
So I'm needing to face that moment with some more courage.
Which of course makes me think of food. :)
And some more (s'more) treats :)
So here's a take on a Rice Krispy treat that will put s'more smiles on those whom you love who may be trying their best to have s'more courage.

S'mores Rice Krispy Treats
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows or
4 cups miniature marshmallows
3 cups Rice Krispies
3 cups small pieces graham crackers
Melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Stir in Rice Krispies and graham cracker pieces.
Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray.
Melt an 11.5 oz. package of milk chocolate chips and spread evenly over treats. Sprinkle with mini marshmallows and small graham pieces. Gently press them into chocolate. Drizzle with a few more oz. of milk chocolate (I warm it gently in the microwave in a freezer strength ziploc, cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the bag and drizzle.)

Sometimes I think our hardest battles are those requiring us to fight when no one else can see the opponent. Self doubt seems to often pack a Goliath sized punch. So today, I'm making this treat as I gather s'more courage to keep up the faith so that our warriors can one day say.
"I did not doubt, for my mother knew and taught me to________."



These are the grahams I buy to break up for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment