Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles



Saturday morning, a friend and I were entrusted with the task of feeding 30 hungry teenagers after they returned from early morning service. Past experienced Breakfast makers for these youth had passed on to me their wisdom about how much they love waffles. So I borrowed a few flip waffle makers from friends and made my grocery list.
Several weeks ago as I opened the pantry to grab a morning packet of oatmeal, I noticed a can of Libby’s Pumpkin puree calling to me. I immediately dropped my oatmeal packet and decided to make myself pumpkin muffins for breakfast. As I completed mixing the batter, the thought occurred to me that I had failed to preheat the oven. I was devastated at the idea of waiting at least half an hour to eat my spice infused – perfect for fall- pumpkin muffin. So I grabbed my waffle maker, heated in within minutes and 2 minutes later was feasting on a delicious pumpkin waffle. I have made them at least three times a week ever since.
On Saturday morning, I made 6 batches of these waffles to add to the breakfast buffet:

Pumpkin Waffles
1 1/2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3T soft butter
Mini chocolate chips and vanilla glaze for garnish.

Combine all dry ingredients, and then add the pumpkin, milk, egg, and butter. Stir until smooth. Spray heated waffle maker with Pam nonstick cooking spray. Spoon batter into waffle maker. Bake until indicator light signals it is done. Serve with mini chocolate chips and vanilla glaze.

Because I want one of these every morning, I adjust the recipe to make it healthier. I use all whole wheat flour, cut the sugar to ½ of a cup, and omit the butter entirely. But of course, I still top it with chocolate chips and glaze.

Y has been home not feeling well the last few days. When he finally wanders upstairs in the mornings, I fire up the waffle maker and prepare this warm breakfast hoping it will help jump start his day. Instead, I think I’ve created a kid who prefers a morning of pumpkin waffles and Sports Center to school… Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment