Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Honey Wheat Rolls


I'm sick of being cold. As I sat at the end of the driveway this morning ill prepared for the chill of a cold car, I took little delight in the sunrise. The sun won't do what I want it to do today. I want to go for a run wearing shorts and a t-shirt. And then- go for a swim- and then- mow the lawn- and then- have a BBQ. No matter how diligent the sun is today, my dreams will be squelched. So what's a girl to do?
How about turn my energy and focus toward something I can do today that is essentially undesirable when it's 80 degrees outside?
Warm straight from the oven honey wheat rolls paired with a cup of steamy soup.
Honey Wheat Rolls
2 cups warm milk (microwave for 2 minutes)
2 T yeast
2 tsp. sugar
Mix these three ingredients together and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast mixture is foamy.
Add :
¼ melted butter
1 egg
2 tsp. Salt
¼ cup honey
3 cups whole wheat flour
Beat in Kitchenaid until smooth.
Add 2-3 more cups of bread flour.
Change the Kitchenaid attachment to the dough hook for 5 minutes. (Or knead on your well-floured work surface.
Rise until double.
Form into any shape of roll you’d like. I divide dough into two discs. I roll each one out into a 14 inch circle, then brush with soft or melted butter. Then take the pizza cutter and cut into 16 triangles. Beginning with the wide end, roll up the dough to form crescent shapes.
Rise until double. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Lightly brush with butter while still hot.

As the last batch of rolls bakes and the hearty smell fills the house, I can feel grateful. At least the sun is shining today!

No comments:

Post a Comment