Sunday, June 15, 2014

S'mores Cookies


In the 1970’s my parents had 5 daughters. Since there were no sons -yet- and Dad still needed a helper, that helper was usually me.  Working closely with dad helped me develop a deep love and adoration for him.  As an adult, the most powerful reasons I love my dad are not because of the things we did together, but rather the things he taught me.  My foundation of a fervent testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ lay in the faith I had in my dad- that wherever he went, I would follow.  Winters in the southwest Iowa town I grew up in were very harsh.  When it snowed, it was often measured in feet, not inches.  Oft times, I was the daughter selected to go out and help my Dad shovel the walks.  As winter skies darkened in late afternoon, by the time dad returned from work, the light from the street lamp reflected on the snow to give a strange illumination to the task.  The sounds of the shovel scraping the sidewalk and Dad’s breath as he worked hard and quick became sounds of comfort for me.  I remember a particular evening that Dad had assigned me to help shovel the walks.  I was eight years old, short and scrawny.  There had been at least a foot and a half of new snow that day.  As I tried to walk down the steps to the sidewalk, trying to catch up to Dad, I could barely move.  Every time I put my foot down, it sank up past my knee in the fresh snow.  My Dad kept turning around and calling for me to catch up.  I was trying to be tough (certainly a trait I was known for) and move quickly towards Dad, but I was truly having a tough time moving at all.  I began to get frustrated and tears fell down my cheeks.  Dad turned around again to call to me, and saw me crying.  He came back to where I was struggling in the snow and pointed to his footsteps in the snow.  He told me that if I walked in his footsteps, I wouldn't get stuck.  He had paved the way with his larger boot.  We were both headed to the same place and all I needed to do was follow him.  And I did.  Not just in the snow that night, but in learning to live the gospel, and learning to enjoy the happiness that it brings to my life as I feel the love of my Heavenly Father and enjoy the blessings He grants me as I obey.
Today is a shout out to Dads everywhere for their selfless love they render on our behalf.  Time to give them all s’more of our love and appreciation!

S’mores Cookies
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ cup soft butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup graham crumbs
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugars.  Stir in egg and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients at once and stir until well mixed.  Roll into 16 balls.  Place on greased baking sheet.  Gently flatten just a bit.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. 
Slice 8 campfire (the largest) size marshmallows in half.  Place the cut half down on the center of each baked cookie.  Return to the oven on the Broil setting for just a minute or until tops are toasty.  Place 1/16 of a Giant sized Hershey Bar in the center of each toasted marshmallow, slightly pressing down.  (You can also make smaller balls of dough, use regular sized marshmallows and portions of a 1.55 oz or Ling sized Hershey bar.)


I struggled in the snow—sometimes we are going to struggle in life.
As I began to cry, I received the comfort of a loving Father—this comfort is all of ours to claim, through the Holy Ghost, from a loving Father in Heaven.
I received guidance and direction as I was told to very simply follow in my Dad’s footsteps.—We have a brother who has gone before us, who has shown us how to live, all we need to do is follow Him.
Throughout my childhood and teenage years, my dad was beside me helping me pick my row of peas, snap my bowl of beans, and retrieving volleyballs as they soared in every which direction; he did so for my siblings as well, in the manner they most needed.  My Dad served his children first.  Perhaps, this is why he was so successful in teaching us the gospel.
And for that I think I’ll express S’more gratitude.
Happy Father’s Day Dad!!

I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment