Tuesday, July 12, 2016

S'mores Brookies


A little over a week ago I was blessed to have some time with Mom all to myself. We had a great chat and as she left my home, I had a flood of gratitude for the feeling that she's always there for me and can understand my concerns and my joys better than most. 
When I was a young girl, Mom arranged all of the music for our church congregation's Sunday worship service. My sisters all loved to sing, some even took voice lessons and had notable musical talent. After one particular Sunday's number included my two youngest sisters who were quite young, I asked Mom when it would be my turn to sing in church. She was surprised by my question and my desire. She asked me what song I wanted to sing. 
"Teach Me To Walk in the Light" was my favorite primary song and I told Mom it's what I wanted to sing. 
As I reflected on this experience in my adulthood- I understand I must not have stood in the long line in heaven to acquire musical talents. 😉  Simply stated- I can't carry a tune. The concepts and importance of harmony, pitch, key, and pretty much all other choir like skills eluded me.   Although Mom must've been a tiny bit relieved that the song is a duet between parent and child, the first verse is a solo by the child. Mom suggested that it's often beautiful when the piano plays the music and the soloist speaks the words of the hymn in poetic form. (She was clearly trying to save the congregation from hearing me sing...)  I didn't understand her suggestion was to preserve the quality of music and thus I insisted on singing my favorite song with all the energy and zest that I felt the words in my heart to mean. 
My angel mother encouraged me to do just that...
Bless her perfect mother heart...

If you're feeling s'more gratitude for your angel mother or someone else in your life-
Make these amazing S'mores Brookies.  And don't be afraid to sing out with all the energy and zest of your heart!!

S'mores Brookies
Make a brownie mix or two - depending on your size of pan- as directed. 
I used two mixes in a 15.5 x 10.5 Airbake baking pan. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 34-38 minutes or until done. 
Spread 14 oz. of marshmallow fluff onto hot brownie. Place enough Hershey milk chocolate candy bars on top of marshmallow to cover it (I used 10 1.55 oz. bars). 
Pat together pieces of Graham Cookie Dough to cover chocolate bars. 
Return to oven and bake an additional 14-18 minutes. 

Graham Cookie Dough
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Cream sugars and butter. Stir in egg and vanilla. Add flour, graham crumbs, salt and baking soda. Stir together until well mixed. 

These will take several hours to "set up" as marshmallow and chocolate layers will be very soft. When set, cut and share with anyone you want to express s'more love or gratitude for. My mom didn't just allow me to sing out that day in church, she sang the second and third verses with the same love in which she taught us kids the very message of the lyrics. 



Teach Me To Walk In The Light

Lyrics

  • 1. (Child) Teach me to walk in the light of his love;
    Teach me to pray to my Father above;
    Teach me to know of the things that are right;
    Teach me, teach me to walk in the light.
  • 2. (Parent) Come, little child, and together we'll learn
    Of his commandments, that we may return
    Home to his presence, to live in his sight
    Always, always to walk in the light.
  • 3. (Both) Father in Heaven, we thank thee this day
    For loving guidance to show us the way.
    Grateful, we praise thee with songs of delight!
    Gladly, gladly we'll walk in the light.
  • Words and music: Clara W. McMaster, 1904-1997. (c) 1958 IRI.
    Obbligato by Darwin Wolford, b. 1936. (c) 1989 IRI

2 comments:

  1. I am so making these today! All of these recipes look incredible. I love how creative you are in the kitchen. I am excited to try them. :) -Melissa (Modern Honey)

    ReplyDelete