Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hot Fudge Brownie


(Continued journal entry from a year ago- January 2010)
“He explained that he must have fractured it playing football a few months prior, and gave him kudos for being so tough. Because he sought no medical attention, the body grew its own support system. Moments later we were excused. I stumbled out into the waiting room, a little shocked by our abrupt dismissal. The receptionist asked if we needed to schedule again.
“No- actually, we don’t.” I said.
Her eyes got a little red and her face broadened with a smile as she said- “I was really hoping for you guys.”
We exchanged parting pleasantries. I quickly looked around the room on our way out as I began to feel guilty that we were getting off so easy.
By the time we exited the building, I was already sending Y a text message: “Nothing is wrong with your brother. We will be home tonight!” B decided we shouldn’t waste our big city road trip. We spent the next few hours shopping and eating at Red Robin.
As I munched on a steamy french fry stolen from my husband’s plate because I ordered something healthy, I had to wonder. Was this doctor right? Could B really have fractured his femur and played through it? I guess if that’s true, he must be tough.” (To be continued)
Sometimes a plate of grilled chicken with steamed veggies just doesn’t fit with how I’m feeling. What I really needed that night was a Hot Fudge Brownie.

Hot Fudge Brownie

Make a nice thick brownie. I use a boxed mix. Make as directed, then add 3/4 cup chocolate chips, and a couple of handfuls of walnuts, if desired. Bake as directed. While still warm, cut and plate.
Add a generous scoop of ice cream
Top with hot off the stove Hot Fudge Sauce.

Hot Fudge Sauce
(Adapted from the Chocolate Glaze recipes)

Pantry version-
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet)
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Heat the condensed milk, and chips on low heat stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
Serve warm.

Refrigerator version-
1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cups chocolate chips
1 T butter
Heat cream, chocolate, and butter stirring until melted and smooth. Serve warm.


I am a bit of a food snob about certain things:
A brownie made from a mix- I deem acceptable.
Hershey’s syrup overtop my brownie and ice cream? An unacceptable waste of calories! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment