Friday, October 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Brownie Cups



J had a rough day yesterday. 7th grade school volleyball ended the day before. In just a few short weeks, she had truly grown to love the sport. Her team only had one win the entire season, but she found joy in the daily process of developing new skills. She came home yesterday and called a friend she hasn't spent much time with since volleyball season began. Her friend had chores, but could meet up later. J took her volleyball outside and did a little setting with her brother while she waited.
I was pulling weeds and reminded her she would have to reschedule with her friend as we had both forgot about her soccer practice. She is playing soccer on a co-ed team and doesn't care for it one bit. She thought she would be paired up more to play against girls from the other team, but such has not been the case. She is the second tallest team member, and coach uses that as his guide for pairing. She feels out matched one on one against her competitor every game. I have taken great delight every time she gets frustrated and shoves her (male) competitor. Its always after the play, when the referee isn't looking. A smile comes across my face as I see this that is slow to recede. Nevertheless, she wishes soccer was over.
A short time after reminding her she had soccer practice, she called her friend to reschedule. The series of disappointments seemed too much for her and within moments, she left to go inside. A short time later, I came in. Her eyes were red and swollen. She wasn't talking. I knew not to make a big deal of it, but I was really glad I had finally successfully made these Peanut Butter Brownie Cups. It was the perfect treat to take her mind off of her troubles.
A friend had made them a few weeks ago, directed me to the website and I've played around ever since. Of course I used a brownie mix, and a little more peanut butter than called for.

Peanut Butter Brownie Cups

1 brownie mix, made as directed. (I used Ghiradelli because I wanted the chunks of chocolate)
Spoon brownie batter into 12 muffin baking cups, with or without paper liners. Sprinkle some peanut butter chips in the center of each one. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let the centers drop a bit as they begin to cool. You can drop the centers a bit further with the back of a spoon. Put a rounded teaspoon of peanut butter in the center of each brownie cup and then sprinkle with semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Then, carefully observe your surroundings. Someone you know has had a rough day and could use the lift this indulgent treat promises to deliver.

1 comment:

  1. I really have to stop looking at your blog. I want EVERYTHING! We do have a 6th grade bake sale coming up so lots of your ideas will be used. Got any ideas for a voting treat?

    ReplyDelete