Thursday, February 20, 2014

Miracle Bread



My prayers as a mother have changed. I used to pray that the kids be safe, be protected, or even make a free throw in a tight game ;)
But lately I've reflected on my phase of motherhood and my roll.
I've learned that fear is the absence of faith. And that in faith my true desire is not that my kids be beneficiaries of miracles because I prayed for them; but rather that they pray themselves. My prayers are that my kids will have their hearts and their thoughts turn to their Father in Heaven. I believe in miracles - lots of them. Some are big and their impact is seen and felt by many. But I believe most miracles are small, insignificant to others, but provide the one who prayed in faith a true conviction and undeniable truth that they know their Father in Heaven is mindful of them.

Lately I've seen this small miracle in my kitchen and relished in the wonder, awe, and delight of the beneficiaries.

Miracle Bread
5 1/2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 T salt
2 scant T dry yeast
3 T soft butter or oil
2 cups very warm water

Mix together dry ingredients. Add butter or oil and water. I use my kitchen aid  dough hook for 5-7 minutes.
Divide dough in half. Briefly roll out into 7x12  rectangle and then roll tightly into loaf, tucking the ends, or simply form the loaves without rolling. Place in two greased bread pans. Let rise in warm area until doubled + or as desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Brush with soft butter after removing it from the oven.
Some say its possible to go from flour to bread in an hour. It takes a little longer in my kitchen, but is impressively quick thus earning its name of Miracle Bread. The texture is different than typical homemade bread that you make with the conventional added steps of foaming the yeast and letting the dough rise before forming the loaves, but when called upon to help a neighbor or improve dinner in a hurry, I love this recipe!


My mantra over the past year has been to "Replace fear with faith".
-To Learn to follow the path before me in faith and delight in the miracles - be they small or significant- that undeniably light the path.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Barbara Hulet. I am in Olathe, Colorado and attend the Uncompahgre Ward in Delta. We have had your daughter in our home several times and she is an absolute joy! Thank you for raising a daughter that could share a profound story of Christ's Atonement and how it helped her in a time in her life. She taught our little twelve year old that Christ's Atonement is for us when we are sad, too. Another one of our daughters taught Dani that His Atonement is there for us if we are afraid. Again, thank you for sharing your daughter with us in Olathe, Colorado.

    ReplyDelete