Monday, May 9, 2011

Oops!

B printed my blog for me for Mother's Day! I love it. Tonight I made a recipe and realized a mistake. I had the wrong amount of baking soda i fixed it here and on the original blog post. I can promise you two things:
1. It won't be the last mistake I find.
2. I will post corrections as I find them.
It just so happens that J's 6th grade class has a very important standardized test tomorrow. The home room teacher is promoting the idea that if you eat a good breakfast, you will test better. So J will proudly take some pumpkin muffins to school tomorrow so that her and her classmates test better.
I had been out washing the car while she was in getting ready for bed. I come in, wet and tired to see a note hung from the top of the door frame reminding me to "Please make pumpkin muffins for J"s class". And so I did...


Mom's Holiday Pumpkin Bread
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
3/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
3 T soft butter
I lazily toss dry ingredients and then add the wet. As a muffin, don’t over mix.
Bake them at 350 degrees. Time depends on size of baking cup. I prefer Texas size muffins.
Variations:
Mom always added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 6 oz. chocolate chips, omitting the cloves. Then she would glaze the cooled bread with a clove infused powdered sugar glaze.
I often substitute some whole wheat flour, scant the cup of sugar, use skim milk instead of buttermilk, and skip the nuts and chocolate inside. This way, I feel okay about having two!
I do like to pretty it up with a simple crumble on top:
1T cold butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ cup oatmeal.
I pulse it in the Cusinart for a bit and throw in a few tablespoons of mini chocolate chips.
Mix-Bake-Share

No comments:

Post a Comment