Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reese's Cheesecake Chocloate Layer Cake

Way too many highs and subsequent lows in my kids lives lately- nothing too serious; just everyday teenager "stuff". It reminds me how important it is that home be a warm, happy, safe place to come back to.
B returns home in about a month following his first year at college. He has chosen to defer his schooling for the next two years and serve a mission for The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints. He received a call to serve in Salt Lake City, Utah --spanish speaking. He reports to begin his training on June 22nd. He is ready to dedicate this time to serve others searching for Christ.
Y is still pulling straight A's deep into his junior year. He appreciates the friends he has and the relationship he has with his dad. However, he is ready to reunite with his best friend and brother in a few weeks. In the meantime, he is learning and competing in a new sport. Ups and downs seem to follow him with every sport he plays. I'm trying to be grateful for the humility-based character that is being developed.
J has turned twelve. Although technically not a teenager, it's obvious the struggles have arrived. She is trying to balance the success she has in school and sports with identifying that (according to mom and dad) there is still more for her to learn.
Just a typical day in my life. Today, I'm not feeling defeated or exhausted by our family's course. Rather I'm content with the assurance and knowledge that these experiences will be for our good. Nevertheless, I wish I could have a piece of this cake while I wait up for Y to finish his homework. I made it a few weeks ago. It's not likely I will attempt it again based on how many hours it took. But it looks good, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment